Thursday, November 11, 2004

Has it been a month? Seriously?!

I guess it has been!!

It started out as a beautiful month weather-wise, but it turned out to be a roller-coaster of a month. My beloved Gramma went in for what we thought was a minor medical procedure and ended up drudging up a myriad of other maladies. Fearful that she might not pull through, my Dad (her son), Mom and aunt all came to Florida to see her. This is a woman blessed with fighting spirit and reaping the benefits of the love she has sown through the years: She is pulling through, after all. She has surprised everyone, most of all her doctors, by rallying despite a LOT of setbacks. I think seeing her children and her grandchildren brought her courage to fight. It's definitely courageous to fight when you are an elderly person who is having treatment after miserable treatment thrown at you. I'd imagine you'd be exhausted and hopeless in the face of it all. But she knows she is loved, she knows we want her here for a long, long time, and she's fought herself back into stable health. It certainly gives a person a LOT to be thankful for this season, doesn't it??

Speaking of, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank all of our veterans this Veteran's Day. Thank you for the God-given rights and responsibilities you've protected for me - before I was born and as I live in this great country. For our veterans-to-be, who are right now fighting this current war, thank you for your sacrifices. And to the parents, wives and children of veterans now and of the future: thank you for your strength when your loved one was deployed. I don't know how you do it, but you are heroes, too.

Back to running... this past Saturday we completed 15 miles!! It was arduous, for sure. The 14 and 15-milers are not leaving me as much in "happy land" as the lower-mileage long runs did. Terra and I are starting to really think about our nutrition and avoiding "bonking". The term "bonking" is like the term "flu" - people use it to describe an minor version of an extreme physical condition. Technically, "bonking" is depleting your glycogen stores to the point of not being able to go on. "Bonking" is used more lightly to describe the feeling of not wanting to go on - you could, but you do not want to. So, for the sake of discussion, I'm talking about "baby bonking" here, not full-out, need-an-ambulance bonking.

So we need to work on this, we've decided. I've done some research on the subject and it appears as though we'll need to start carrying some simple carbs with us in some capacity. I guess gummy bears and Twizzler bites are an option. Also I'll need to eat a lot better throughout the week so that my muscles can store up the glycogen during rest periods. Sadly (said tongue-in-cheek) this means more potatoes, pasta and whole-grain bread products. I know, I know - it's tragic!!! I also plan on stocking up on juices, veggies and the awesome Fuji apples my family has become addicted to and will darn near kill to have the last one of when we run low. If this neighborhood had handed out Fuji apples instead of candy for Halloween, the Lawrence clan would have been in hog heaven.

I am still working on fundraising. It's slow-going, but I feel confident I will reach my goal. So confident that I signed recommitment paperwork binding me financially to MAKING that goal. It's amazing how each and every donation translates to personal support - how each person who has donated, no matter how little, is saying to me "I believe in you and know you can do this". It means SO much!!

I am off now to sign up for the Turkey Trot Thanksgiving Day. I just love that race! It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is so very close! I just love this time of year - it's just an amazing time. I know time will pass quickly between now and January 9, but I am also confident that I'll be ready, willing and able to run this marathon.

This particular article is awesome, sums up the race, and every time I read it makes me ready to run this thing RIGHT NOW:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/wdwupdate/lt030205lt.htm

If you've happened upon this website, and would like to donate, please go to www.active.com/donate/tntscfl/momsince96. Thank you SO MUCH!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
I found you! Thank you for running for this terrific cause. I love your determination. You rock! And keep up this blog... I loved reading it. And maybe you want to cut/paste into an email for BBS96 to see too? We love you and miss your postings. Best of luck to you during this life altering experience!

Denise

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home