Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Track practice

We had track practice today. It was fun. We got there a bit late (we'd told her we would be late) but still got full benefit of the entire practice. We stretched for a looooong time. I'm not a big fan of stretching, but hey. I'm learning. You gotta stretch.

We did interval training; sprints for straights, easy for curves. I did sprints for straights and walked the curves. I still did okay though; 11.25 laps in 30 minutes. It works out to a slower pace mile than I like but I have to get past the competitive part and start working on stamina. It's going to be the hardest part of this effort, I think; getting past the need to win, to stop running fast and petering out, and to get to what I've always lacked: endurance. I need the endurance. It's what this is all about. If I'd allow myself to "learn" or gain endurance, the speed would come.

I'm thinking of doing a 5k Saturday morning instead of group practice. I'll also be missing group practice on the 11th so it might not be one of my better ideas, but I really am hungry for a good solid 5k race. I want to see where I really am and what my true pace is. I'm still thinking about it - I have until early Saturday morning to make a decision.

Besides, Frances might make my decision for me. Dang that big ol' huge hurricane wanting to spoil Labor Day plans!!!

I joined Weight Watchers again. Actually, re-joined. I'm a lifetime member and I'm at goal, so I only have to pay for today's meeting and after that - as long as I'm at goal - I don't pay. I re-joined so I can work on my nutrition and keep myself accountable food-wise. I know I'll get all caught up into the web of "Well, I'm marathon training and probably burning 5 million calories a day, I can have a bag of chips and dip, no problem!" and maybe at some point that WILL be true (about the calories), but I don't think there are too many marathoners completing events on a diet of chips, dip and beer. So I need to think more along the lines of fruits, vegetables and water. Thank goodness Weight Watchers meetings have evolved past "How many Skinny Cow Ice Cream bars can you eat in a day and stay under your points range?" This meeting was a good one and I actually knew someone there (imagine - someone else under 80 at a New Port Richey Weight Watchers meeting!!!)

Oh, and I also voted like a good girl today. Unfortunately, Pasco Co. doesn't really count in the "Tampa Bay area" so they are forgetting to put our returns up on the screen during that new stupid adult-cartoon show. Or, if they do put them up, they put them up s-l-o-w-l-y like it could take us all night to collectively read Dave Abremski. Yeah, okay, I got it. I voted for the underdog (again). He got 16% of the vote. Let's move on!!

I ACHE, so I'm off to the bathtub. Tomorrow is shoe clinic, which I am looking forward to because it means I get to spend money :D. I need new shoes DESPERATELY. I'm almost positive it's one of the reasons I am in such pain, especially around my knees.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home