Sunday, October 17, 2004

October in Florida...

...equals FANTASTIC running conditions!! Oh, is it ever gorgeous!

When I left off I was staring down the barrel at 11 miles. We polished that off, no problem. Added an "incident" to ongoing list of hilarious "incidents". Laughing got us through the last 3 miles.

On Tuesday I finally made it to track practice. We did maximum heart rate drills and I learned that mine was - as I expected - fairly high. My max heart rate is 200, so I need to work at 70-85% of that. It explains why I am able to run comfortably at 165-170 when I shouldn't really be able to, based on the general guideline of 225 - age x 70-85%.

Yesterday my training partner was out of town. I had intended to go to Ft. DeSoto to join my team for the potluck/group run but decided it was simply too far. Then I was going to join the local running club sponsored through the Y but when I woke up I felt TERRIBLE. It took me an hour and a half after waking to decide that I could - and would - run but I would do it near home so I could come home if I declined in any way. After the first block, I was fine, and handed in a 12 mile run at just under 2 hours. I was very proud of myself!!

I'm learning to love Saturdays after that long run. It's becoming a self-indulgent kind of day, where I reward myself with whatever I want to eat or drink, and generally celebrate the morning's hard work. Last night I OVER indulged at the party of old friends of ours. It was a great party and the atmosphere they've created with their home just lent itself to indulgence. (The house is neat, with a brick courtyard, strings of lights criss-crossing over a picnic table outside, and a beautiful fountain). I must not have behave too badly as we've been invited back for dinner under those lights again next month!!

Today I am crickity. I didn't treat my body well yesterday and it's objecting. I ran those miles, toasted the end with a cup of coffee and a pumpkin spice bagel slathered in cream cheese, and nothing else for the rest of the day. Add in a healthy dose of Amber Bock on draft and you have a recipe for a painful Sunday. Lesson learned.

We learned that we are staying at Port Orleans for the race. We are starting to get all that paperwork in the mail. I am getting upset because fund raising isn't going well. I intend to hit the bricks tomorrow to see what I can get in the way of corporate sponsorships. I have 2 weeks to meet my minimum goal of $633 and recommit.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home